This page is always “under construction.” If you find something you think should be included, please pass it along. My Favorites are in bold print!
Financing and Legal
- The Downeaster Guide is an excellent booklet (free for the downloading) covering “finding, buying, and keeping your Maine home.” With a focus on financing, it includes clear summaries of the financing process, plenty of terms, guides to credit scores… you just have to see for yourself. Sales Agent Students will find it especially helpful and Associate Brokers and Brokers will want to consider making it available to clients.
- Shopping for Your Home Loan is the recently updated HUD Book covering settlement costs and more. A must read!
- Bankrate is an aggregator of financial rate information, offering an rate data and financial content. Bankrate provides free rate information to consumers on more than 300 financial products including mortgages. The page includes a variety of user-friendly financial calculators.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) offers a plethora of consumer information regarding everything from appraisals to credit and how to obtain as lien release.
- Federal Reserve Board‘s site will seem a bit imposing if you’re not a bit of an economist, but poke around and you’ll discover some good consumer resources regarding foreclosure prevention and credit.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) will provide a great deal of information both for businesses and consumers. Note this site includes information about antitrust laws, telemarketing (do not call), can spam, etc.
- Looking for the Best Mortgage is a great little booklet for buyers and borrowers, published by HUD.
- Pine Tree Legal Assistance provides an incredible free library of articles on a wide variety of legal topics. Of particular interest to real estate licensees will be credit, mortgage, and foreclosure topics.
Specific Loan Programs
- Federal Housing Authority (FHA) refinance mortgages or FHA loans allows for the refinance or purchase of a home with a low down payment. These loans are often great for the first-time homebuyer.
- Rural Development, best known for the 502 Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan and Direct Loan Programs, offers a wide variety of financial services and assistance. Start exploring here!
- Maine State Housing offers a very user-friendly site that includes current rate information and a list of programs currently being offered.
- Veterans’ Administration is a good general resource site for Veterans with specific information regarding VA Loans.