Erosion Control Requirements

 Posted by at 10:39 am
Feb 012013

shoveling_hole_pc_400_clr_3788Way back in 2008 a bill was passed that required, beginning on January 1, 2013, any activity that adds or displaces more than one cubic yard of soil in the shoreland zone, must either 1) be done by a certified contractor, or 2) a person trained and certified in erosion control by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) must be on-site while the activity is being done.  The law does not apply to homeowners doing the work themselves.  The long lead time between passage of the statute and final implementation of the law allowed excavation contractors and other interested parties ample time to become certified.  Certification is achieved by attending an eight hour course given by DEP.  There are currently 1,524 individuals on the list of certified contractors.  For a list of contractors: 

This information was excerpted from information provided by the Maine Association of Realtors… one thing I haven’t researched is what the penalty (if any) might be if a buyer purchased property where this requirement was not met by the previous owner (seller). I’d recommend buyers ask questions about any work done in a Shorelands Zone prior to purchase as part of their due diligence!